Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Sex, Drugs, Rock and Roll, Geritol, and Depends


I'll admit it, I've always wanted to be a Rock and Roll star.
The life of fame and fortune sure looked a lot more fun than the mundane life of working for a living. World travel, groupies, and a life filled with luxuries seemed so cool to a teenager back then.

I couldn't believe my eyes when one day I stumbled across a photo of a person identified as David Lee Roth. "Diuamond Dave" as he was know was the front man for Van Halen, one of the 80's premiere rock bands. Roth had a swagger that was unmatched by most, and a presence on stage that was electrifying. Imagine my shock when I saw his "now" photo staring back at me!

Apparently, the "good life" is bad for you! To call Roth a "train wreck" almost seems like a complement! Now not all entertainers end up like this, but more than a few do. One of my favorite local bands, Black Oak Arkansas, has a front man, who like Roth, has lost his youthful presence. Jim "Dandy" Mangrum was the model for Roth's persona onstage. It's said that Eddie Van Halen video taped Mangrum's performance for Roth to copy. Now, they both look old and used up. The good life indeed!

I guess that all that wild excess, the parties, and such, have a negative effect on the human body. Too much fun isn't good for you, apparently!
While I wouldn't say I'm in better shape and a whole lot poorer, I guess I didn't do so bad after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment